You must have been sensing a lot of talk about prebiotic skincare. Most of you must have just read that as ‘PROBIOTIC’ – that’s not your fault, actually. Many get confused between the two. Although they are similar; they are not the same. There is a slight distinction. Allow us to drive away from this confusion of yours.
PROBIOTICS are live organisms. They are the good strains of bacteria that populate the microbiomes that inhabit your skin. You see, just like our natural ecosystem, our skin also has an ecosystem of its own. Millions of bacteria, both good and bad; live in this microflora. The skin, as a defensive barrier, must stay strong and stay on guard to wave off the bad bacteria that cause trouble. By trouble we mean, early signs of aging, pimples, pigmentation, dullness, dryness, etc. Anita Golani, Founder iORA and Aromatherapist shares some valuable insights on how prebiotics help the skin.
Now, here’s when PREBIOTICS come into the picture. They boost and stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria to strengthen the skin’s barrier. By doing so, the good bacteria get stronger to fight against toxic elements and environmental pollutants.
Prebiotics are commonly found in various foods and dietary supplements. Such as –
- Flax seeds
- Soybeans, etc.
Prebiotic fibres enrich, stabilize and fortify your skin and gut’s ecosystem and make it healthy. The fact is that if your gut health directly affects your skin health. They are linked that way, naturally. Both their microbiomes are somewhat similar to each other. Therefore, people nowadays are focusing more and more on improving their gut health by eating right, exercising good practices for maintaining good gut health.
Incorporating skin-friendly prebiotics that supports your microbiome is really essential. Your skin will thank you later by glowing up naturally if you involve prebiotics in your skincare routine. Here are a few reasons how prebiotics can work positively for your skin. –
- Strengthens skin barrier – Prebiotic skincare enhances your skin’s barrier function and makes it stronger to defend against the toxic pollutants present outside. It protects your first line of defence which is of utmost importance.
- Prebiotics feed the healthy bacteria dwelling on your skin – Fermented edibles and prebiotics act as superfoods for the microbiome.
- Accelerates natural exfoliation – A regular intake of prebiotics can hasten the shedding of dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- Improves your skin’s texture – It minimizes the appearance of pores and tightens your skin by increasing the collagen production in your skin. Your skin feels plumpy, soft, and healthy to touch.
- Long-term care – You must start taking care of your skin from an early age to avoid regretting later. Prebiotics are great for this. Plus, since they work for bettering your skin from the inside, the effects are long-term. It works on balancing your skin’s microflora.
- Controls oiliness, over dryness, and breakouts – Prebiotic actives prevent overproduction of oil on your face. They also lock in enough moisture in your skin so that it stays hydrated and looks fresh.
Keep an eye out for such Prebiotic products and think about shifting to organic skincare if you haven’t already. Be brand conscious, but for the right reasons. ‘Prebiotics is the healthy way ahead’